Most of us, are familiar with the expression, Will you walk the walk, or do you only talk the talk?, so we shouldn’t be surprised, the same concept applies, to potential leaders! After, over four decades of personal and professional involvement, in, nearly everything, related to effectively leading, from identifying and qualifying, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or potential leaders, to serving as a leader, on several occasions, I have observed, unfortunately, how rare it is to find a potential leader, who is, truly, ready, and prepared, for PRIME time! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Priorities; perceptions; planning; phases; purposes: Whether one, is the right person, to make a difference, for the better, often, depends upon, the combination of his priorities, and perceptions, and whether, they focus, on both, relevant and sustainable possibilities, and ramifications! The finest leadership comes from the highest quality of meaningful, thorough, planning, and the purposes, addressed, and prioritized! Wise leaders, always, realize, true progress, comes from proceeding, along the best – possible, path, in phases, and understanding, the process, requires proceeding, step – by – step!
2. Relevant; ramifications; reliable; recognize; responsive/ responsible; ready: What good is any leader, unless he proceeds, in a relevant manner, understanding the potential ramifications, of any actions, as well as avoiding taking them, in a well – considered, timely way! He recognizes the possibilities, in a realistic way, and proceeds, in the most reliable way, which is both, responsible (in the immediate, as well as longer – term), and responsive to the specific needs, etc, of the particular organization! Only, then, does he become ready, for prime time!
3. Trust/ truth; timely; time – tested; together: One can only earn the trust of stakeholders, when he, consistently, tells the truth, rather than, only, doing so, when it might be convenient! The ideal leader proceeds, in a well – considered, timely way, which aligns with taking advantage of time – tested, knowledge, and expertise, hopefully, bringing forth, true judgment, and wisdom!
4. Make mark; motivating; merits; matter: How can anyone, make his mark, for the better, unless he begins with a clearer understanding, of, what really matters? He must analyze ideas, based on their merits, with an open – mind! Once, prepared, a true leader must be ready, willing, and able to articulate, a motivating, inspiring message, which brings people together, for the greater good!
5. Empathy; emphasis; efforts; example; excellence; endurance; enrich: One of the greatest challenges, to finding the right person, to lead, is possessing, genuine empathy, and placing his emphasis, accordingly! When one uses his efforts, accordingly, he begins to set an example, for others to follow! Great leaders must clearly, demonstrate, the utmost degree of genuine, personal excellence, never settling for good – enough! Obviously, this requires someone with the level of persistence, and endurance, to truly, enrich, the group, an stakeholders, he is supposed to serve and represent!